Friday, August 8, 2014

Marmoset as Pet? Get a Wildlife Permit in Florida

People who are looking to buy a marmoset monkey for a pet must understand that the process isn’t as simple as buying a dog or a cat. Monkeys like a marmoset are classified as exotic animals. In Florida, you have to contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and apply for a wildlife permit before you can own such an animal. Here’s a quick guide to the process.

Determine the Class

Determine the classification of the monkey you are interested in ASAP, as each class has a different application form. In the case of marmosets, they are classified as a Class III exotic animal. Due to the nature of Class III exotic animals, the application is free so long as it is for personal possession purposes.

Find a Veterinarian

In your application form, you need to state who your new pet’s veterinarian will be. You may need to ask experts like zoo keepers to find a veterinarian who is well-versed with this type of monkey’s anatomy. You can also ask a trusted exotic pet provider to provide you with the name of a qualified veterinarian.

Hit the Books

You’ll be asked to answer and submit a questionnaire along with your application form. This questionnaire will gauge your knowledge of exotic pet ownership. You will also be required to create an emergency disaster plan that details how you plan to care for your marmoset in the event of a natural disaster, such as a hurricane or a flood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment